...which they repeatedly evade...Here I am collecting a list the problems with Electric Universe (EU) claims that EU supporters persistently ignore. Currently, it will expand as I use it to index much of my existing material. I hope to maintain this as a 'master list' of EU problems and it should be regarded as the first place to check for a EU topics on this site.
This summarizes a number of Electric Universe claims impacting:
- General Science
- General Physics
- General Plasma Physics
- Electric Sun/Electric Stars (General)
- Solar Resistor Model (Thornhill Z-Pinch)
- Solar Capacitor Model (Don Scott)
- Electric Comets
- The Electric Sky (Don Scott) Rebuttals
- Space Weather & Heliophysics
- Peratt Galaxy Model
- Intergalactic Space
- General Electric Universe Failures
- Adoption of Other Pseudo-Science by Electric Universe Supporters
What does EU provide that is not already provided by mainstream astronomy and geophysics?
Has any EU supporter designed and built a working high-precision (< 1 meter accuracy) GPS receiver that can be certified as free of relativistic corrections?
General Plasma Physics
Is MHD valid in its domain of applicability? If MHD is invalid and it is not possible to use it for building mathematical models of plasmas, aren't EU supporters saying that Alfven didn't deserve a Nobel prize for MHD?
Why do EU supporters continue to claim that astronomers ignore electric fields and free charges in space in spite of all the evidence to the contrary?
Why do Electric Universe supporters consistently dismiss the use of mathematical modeling of plasmas?
Electric Sun/Electric Stars (General)
- If mainstream models of the solar interior are so wrong, why does this technique work at all?
- All of the solar data for this capability are PUBLIC (see MDI Data Services & Information) and the software runs on desktop-class computers you can buy at almost any computer store. So when will EU demonstrate that their Electric Sun model can generate equivalent or better results?
Why should the Electric Sun model be regarded as superior to the more standard model(s) when the standard models disagree at the few percent level, or at worst factor of a few, while ES produces no values for comparison at all? (see Mathematics: The Language of Science)
Solar Resistor model (Thornhill Z-Pinch)
One of the popular EU models for stars is a z-pinch configuration. The primary advocate of this configuration seems to be Wal Thornhill. Using Alfven circuit analogies, the major feature of this model is a current stream where the star derives its energy as a resistive load. For this reason, I call it the solar resistor model (see Electric Cosmos: The Solar Resistor Model). With simple constraints of particle and energy conservation (nuclear reactions which could significantly change particle number) combined with Maxwell's equations (wikipedia) the major shortfalls of this model are:
- predicts magnetic fields for the surface of the Sun and at the orbit of the Earth, 1000 to 1,000,000 times larger than measured.
- ignores that free current streams of ions and electrons are subject to numerous instabilities which make them break up in short timescales.
Solar Capacitor model (Don Scott, The Electric Sky)
An alternative solar model, radically different from the Thornhill model above, is a spherical capacitor model with the heliopause as the cathode (source of electrons) and the solar photosphere as the source of ions & protons (anode). I call this the solar capacitor model. This spherical current configuration has been studied heavily in theory and experiment since the 1920s.
Electric Cosmos: The Solar Capacitor Model. I. II. III.
Applying basic conservation principles to this configuration, just some of the deficiencies found are
- predicts a solar proton wind speed 200 times faster than observed.
- predicts energetic particle fluxes far in excess of what we observe. (proton fluxes a billion times larger). These fluxes are also far higher than the most deadly regions of the Earth radiation belts, meaning that interplanetary travel would be sure death for astronauts.
- in situ measurements do not show a high-energy stream of electrons heading towards the Sun.
- Without an external EMF maintaining the potential between the photosphere and heliopause, the Electric Sun will shut down due to charge neutralization in a very tiny fraction of a second.
- Electric Universe Fantasies & Heliopause Electrons. Don Scott concocts a revised electron density measurement to lower his Electric Sun voltage requirements. It doesn't help much.
- Electric Universe Fantasies & Heliopause Electrons. II. Just where did Don Scott get his electron density revision, because it certainly did not come from the measurements made by Voyager 1.
- Electric Sun: Another Problem with Heliospheric "Drift Currents". If the electron density in interplanetary space is too high, radio waves can't propagate
Collection of my rebuttals to specific claims in Don Scott's The Electric Sky.
Here's a few discussions of the claims made and their flaws.
- Electric Comets: Failures of the Electric Comet Model.
- Electric Comets II. Of Water & Ice. How does water behave differently in space, compared to the Earth environment, and how does that impact the behavior of comets?
- Electric Comets III: Mass vs. Charge. Could repulsion due to electric charge on the comet and spacecraft explain the low density estimate of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko and the comet is actually the density of rock?
- Electric Comets: More Failures of the Electric Comet Model
Space Weather & Heliophysics
- Where is the Electric Sun model that can compute the particle fluxes, energies and fields from first principles which are consistent with the measured solar luminosity and in situ spacecraft particle and field measurements?
- If EU does not publish its models so they can be tested against other models as well as measurements, how can they claim their model is better, much less that they are doing science?
- Death by Electric Universe. I. EU's Unsolvable Problem. An overview of how radically different the interplanetary environment is in the standard vs. Electric Universe models.
- Death by Electric Universe. II. The Solar Capacitor Model. Computing the particle radiation flux for Don Scott's 'Solar Capacitor' model.
- Death by Electric Universe. III. EU Excuses. Some popular Electric Universe excuses encountered when confronted with the Electric Sun radiation problems.
- Death by Electric Universe. IV. The Z-Pinch (Solar Resistor) Model. The Z-Pinch solar model creates magnetic fields so high, any spacecraft flying through it would be fried by it's own induced currents and voltages!
- Death by Electric Universe. Radiation Exposure Revisited. An examination of the shielding requirements for an Electric Sun model.
- Death by Electric Universe: Current vs. Voltage. An interesting analogy on how death by radiation exposure is different from electrocution.
Peratt Galaxy Model
I've written a number of posts exposing the problems of the Peratt galaxy model.
- Scott Rebuttal. II. The Peratt Galaxy Model vs. the Cosmic Microwave Background
- Still no electric currents powering the galaxies...
- Electric Universe: More data refuting the EU galaxy model
- The microwave emission of the currents predicted by Peratt does not appear in COBE, WMAP or Planck skymaps.
- There is still no identification of the source or mechanism for generating the tremendous electromotive force (EMF) needed to power the galaxies in the Peratt model.
- The intersection of the two Birkeland currents in the Peratt model form a long, cylindrical structure, yet the galaxies are cross-sectional slices from the current. Why?
So why do EU supporters believe the HI 21 cm emission but not the proton-proton chain?
General Electric Universe Failures
APOD Nereid and I explored a host of failures of Electric Universe 'Theorists' that were published in the Bentham Open Astronomy Journal (BOAJ) in 2011. While BOAJ claims to be a peer-reviewed journal, the quality of that peer-review is very questionable.
Electric Universe: Peer-Review Exercise 1. Article Reviewed:
"Editorial: Some Initial Thoughts on Plasma Cosmology" by Jeremy Dunning-Davies
Electric Universe: Peer Review Exercise 2. Article Reviewed:
"On Gravity-centric Cosmology and the Implications of a Universe Awash with Plasma " by David B. Smith
Electric Universe: Peer Review Exercise 3. Article Reviewed:
"Electric Currents Key to Magnetic Phenomena" by Donald E. Scott
Electric Universe: Peer Review Exercise 4. Article Reviewed:
"Laboratory Modeling of Meteorite Impact Craters by Z-pinch Plasma" by C. J. Ransom
Electric Universe: Peer Review Exercies 5. Article Reviewed:
"Toward a Real Cosmology in the 21st Century " by Wallace W. Thornhill
Adoption of Other Pseudo-Sciences by Electric Universe Supporters
- Discordant Redshift Claims. A summary of the flaws in these claims (with links to more details) is available at Discordant Redshifts: A Post-Mortem.
- Relativity Denial: Relativity Denial: The 1919 Solar Eclipse, Scott Rebuttal. I. GPS & Relativity
June 28, 2015: Added a few more links, and did some major reformatting.
June 27, 2015: Added link to new Electric Comet post
January 2, 2015: Added some links and created an index listing.
May 12, 2014: Miscellaneous Electric Universe and other pseudo-sciences resources added.
March 30, 2014: Added Electric Comet link
October 21, 2012: Add Death by Electric Universe series
September 20, 2012: Add EU peer-review exercise.
July 16, 2011: Minor fixes thanks to Nereid.
This page is an index and will accept no comments.